Monday, October 2, 2017

Less Expensive and Easy Gluten Free Flour

Less Expensive and Easy Gluten Free Flour

Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Xanthan Gum

I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance 4 years ago. It was shortly after my 3rd baby was born. I was in heaven with my new bundle of joy... until I started doubling over in pain.

The stomach cramps got so intense that my husband almost had to carry me out to the car so we could go to the hospital. It took a lot of coaxing to get me to cooperate but I finally agreed to a stomach biopsy. The result? I had a section of my stomach that was being agitated by the gluten I was eating and it was causing all my pain. Crazy, I know! 

My first concern was that I didn't really know what to eat. I had watched my grandfather deal with Celiac disease for years and it was no fun. I feared I would only get eat Chex Cereal and rice cakes for the rest of my life. 

Then I started to do some research and found that a lot of people had pioneered the Gluten Free way for me. Let me just say thank you to all those people! I took a lot of idea's from other people, put my own spin on it, and got some great recipes that have made my diet change barely noticeable! 

The first thing I needed was a good gluten free flour. I tried a ton, from store brands to home made mixes. (Beware! Some store brands use bean flour and that stuff has a weird after taste.) 
After a lot of trial and error, I finally found a flour blend that is great!

Here is my recipe: 2 Cups Brown Rice Flour
                              2/3 Cup Potato Starch
                              1/3 Cup Tapioca Starch
                              1 Tablespoon Xanthan Gum



First up is the rice flour. I like to grind my own rice flour (aka my darling hubby will grind a bunch of brown rice into flour for me. Thank you, honey!) You can also buy rice flour, but I find that using a food mill to make my own is much cheaper.



Next I take the rice flour my hubby ground and mix it with the Potato Starch (also called Potato Flour), Tapioca Starch, and Xanthan Gum. Sift these together really well. You want it all blended so you can use this just like regular flour.


Finally, store it all in an air tight container to use at any future time. Here you see a big container of GF flour. I make a lot at one time so I will have some on hand for several months. Start out by trying the smaller recipe you see above. If it works out as well for you as it did for me then start making it in larger quantities. It will 'keep' just like regular flour.

I find that this flour can be substituted on a 1:1 ratio with regular flour for most recipes. I will be posting some of my favorite GF recipes in following blog posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Best Life

 Have you ever heard the phrase 'Living their best life'?  When we hear 'living their best life' we think of people with ama...