Sunday, July 9, 2017

Moving With Kids

MOVING... With Kids!

I have moved more in my life than most army families I know. In the 33 years I have been on this earth I've never lived in any house longer than 4 years or any town longer than 5 years. Those are not the average numbers for me either. On average, I move every 3 years or less.
With numbers like this it may seem that all this moving must be something that I love to do. Truth is, I really get tiered of moving. Each move has been in pursuit of something, either by me or a family member. Growing up it was always a move for the better job or better house. Once I moved out it was a move for the better experiences. Then I got married and had kids. It was back to moving for the better job.
All packed and ready to move!

Some, if not all, these moves have been necessary and often inspired. I know that. But it doesn't really make the whole moving experience any more fun.
But something positive has come out of all this moving. I am a moving pro! Throw in my air force raised hubby and we are an incredible on-the-go team!
In this series of posts, I wanted to share what I have learned about moving with you. Especially if you have kids. Moving can be so tough on kids. Having moved a lot as a kid myself, and moving my own kids, I know it can be tough!

1. Make a plan
You need to have a plan yourself before you tell your kids anything about moving. Getting them involved before any plans are final could really stress a child out. Make sure you know if you are truly moving. Then, know where are you moving to. These are things that you have to have settled before you bring the news to your child.

2. Tell you kids
Once you know you are moving, and you know where, share the news with you kids. This is not something that you should spring on them. They will need time to adjust to the news so tell them before the big event happens.

3. Listen to your kids
On a previous move, my oldest was turning 5. She had just finished preschool and missed her friends terribly. She needed me to listen to her while she cried about missing those friends. While it is always hard to see your baby cry, she needed to work through all those emotions so she could feel better. Make sure you take the time to listen to your child's concerns about moving.

4. Get excited about your move
Whether you are moving across town or across the country, moving will bring out a lot of emotions. Try to focus on the positive ones. This can be hard to do, but the more excited you are about the move the more excited your kids will be also.  Are you moving to a new house? What are some of the great things about this new house? Are you moving to a new town? Research your new town with your children so you can find out what fun things it has to offer. Look forward to these new things together.
Our current move is helping my family move closer to Grandparents. Daddy is getting his dream job. We also are able to buy our own house! We find that being positive about this move very easy.

Remember, moving is an adventure! Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Best Life

 Have you ever heard the phrase 'Living their best life'?  When we hear 'living their best life' we think of people with ama...